Saturday, July 3, 2010

wind

today began and ended in a very smooth way. simplicity is overlooked, underrated and straight up forgotten about. it's the things we forgot to appreciate that end up fading away.

the weather is windier this time of year
it blows over buildings
the sidewalks hold onto legs
the people are afraid of losing their way
the umbrellas won't stay locked
everybody's hair is a mess

the storm will not wait,
it is coming
it is here
the gardens are jumping in glee
they have forgotten what it feels like to live
they too bend in unfamiliar angles
if there be an angel
he too is grounded
giving way to this force
the city bell rings
flooding the streets with warnings pockets will
never have enough room to carry
the people are losing their heads and their briefcases
their featherweight beliefs are going everywhere
except where they should be
chaos colors the taxicabs a different yellow
the madness goes with the wind
what can you do but watch and wait?
another day, another time
all the hats have had it
they are being slapped off heads
and the hair is tangled in tangerine trees
some part of me has been blown into some part of you
together we are flowing
growing inseparably true
tomorrow is trivial when I am with you
this wind is knocking me against
what I never thought possible

barefoot bravery
what has become of my legs,
as they stand in the sandpits
and watch this wind watch them back
i am shaking because I do not know
I do not know if this wind will go back where it came
and if this earth will continue to spend around your name
but the questions don't matter
there are brothers playing football for the last time
mothers cooking summer supper
and milkshakes making their last heart melt into unbreakable beat boxes
back and forth
all the love in the world is forging with
the open arms of open men
afraid their hands are too small to hold
too small to know what has always been greater then them
this wind blows in from every direction
this time of year is always a battle
between littered streets
there are concrete hearts that refuse to be broken
regardless of what is chosen
they choose to hold on hoping
even in this wild wind
when everything has become heavy and messy
and leading to the end
whether it's where I've been or where I'll be
I see it all right in front of me
gathering here and there and everywhere
the wind will not wait
so I turn my back and unlock forgotten gates
the dust that settled is no longer giving us any trouble
all is clear,
when the wind blows
this time of year

No comments:

Post a Comment