Saturday, July 3, 2010

away

when you are not here
neither am I

the sky goes away
resigns its post as gatekeeper
and nothing is pure anymore
the seconds are leading to timeless ticks
none of it matters
when your shadow is out of sight
there are never enough letters
to replace your smile
every poem is a line too short
and a word too small
to possibly replace your laugh

i look at doors
and wait
hoping the hinges will hear my wishes
and open on up with you
on the other side
but it does not move an inch
my wrists can not function
when my arms are boycotting
stopping until they can hold you
i do not know what to do
there are moments
where I am lost,
caught between you and myself
battling with what is there and what is not
i am hoping you will come to me
either in a dream
or in a poem
better yet, just come home
I will bury you in kisses
embrace you like water
and lay with you they way children do
the rain is not rain
it is liquid pain
guzzled by all living things
they too miss you
together we kneel
press surface to palm
and possess enough strength for another day to go by
another day where you are not here
i stare into the mirror
so that maybe the reflection
will see what is missing
and bring you back
to me

No comments:

Post a Comment